To provide thorough practical and theoretical construction plant training in operating a mechanical hoist (either passenger/goods, good or both).
- Describe the nature of this sector of industry and their role and responsibilities as a plant/equipment operator.
- Name and explain the purpose of principle hoist components, the basic construction, controls, and terminology.
- Confirm competence in line with the manufacturer’s requirements as per the operator’s handbook, other types of information source and the relevant regulations and legislation.
- Check the stability, alignment and all-round safety before use.
- Ensure that the relevant hoistway protection mechanism is in position before use.
- Check that all gates and safety devices function according to specification.
- Undertake all the hoist’s pre-use and on-going running checks.
- Check the emergency lowering functions.
- Explain precautions to be taken for overhead services and other construction site hazards.
- Load and unload materials following official manual handling requirements.
- Prepare the hoist for the required load(s) and/or passengers.
- Operate the plant machinery to the limits of operation both loaded and unloaded.
- Comply with signals and instructions.
- Explain the hoist’s working limitations.
- Place the plant equipment in an out-of-service condition, isolate it and secure it.